It is insufficient to say that I was merely "surprised" by the email I
received from Heather Wilkinson Rojo (author and owner of Nutfield Genealogy). I was "gobsmacked" in the most positive sense of the word ["utterly astonished; astounded"]. In fact, it has taken me a week to absorb Heather’s news and to compose this “thank you” and response.
Heather very kindly wrote to tell me she had nominated The Prism and several other blogs for a “Blog of the Year 2012” award. http://www.nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com/2013/01/surprise-ive-been-honored.html Her Nutfield Genealogy was recently nominated and the rules require a sort of "pay it forward" by having nominees pass on their own nominations. More information about the award and the rules are found here http://thethoughtpalette.co.uk/our-awards/blog-of-the-year-2012-award
The basic rules are . . .
1. Select the blogs you think deserve the Blog of the Year 2012 Award
2. Write a blog post and tell us about the blogs you have chosen – no minimum or maximum number of blogs required- and present them with the award
3. Include a link back to the award page http://thethoughtpalette.co.uk/our-awards/blog-of-the-year-2012-award/
4. Include these rules in your post (please don’t alter the rules or the badges!)
5. Let the blogs you nominate know that you have given them the Blog of the Year award and share the ‘rules’ with them.
6. You can now join the Facebook group – click ‘like’ on this page Blog of the Year 2012 Award Facebook Group and then you can share your blog with an even wider audience.
7. As a winner of the award, add a link back to the blog that presented you with the award and then proudly display the award on your blog and sidebar… and start collecting stars…
Heather's outstanding genealogy blog is absolutely deserving of Blog of the Year nomination and recognition. Her kind nomination of my nascent blog as one of several new blogs she likes is appreciated in the extreme, but I also have to point out that technically The Prism only posted a single entry in the past calendar year given that it was born on December 31, 2012.
While I am truly gobsmacked by Heather's nomination, I found myself wondering if The Prism should even qualify for a 2012 nomination. I am still learning the art of genealogy blogging and the features of Blogger. I can only aspire to the consistency and quality of a blog such as Nutfield Genealogy. I am also still exploring and feasting on the smorgasbord of blogs offered by the genealogy community -- and so I feel somewhat constrained by the Blog of the Year rule to name other blogs that I believe should be nominated. But gobsmacked and inexperienced as I am, I nonetheless do not want to break the nomination chain or appear to be in any way ungrateful – so I am taking Heather's wonderful nomination as a vote of confidence in the POTENTIAL that The Prism has for the future rather than being based on the extremely limited posting I did in 2012. On that basis, I am happy to accept and display the Blog of the Year badge in the hope The Prism justifies in 2013 the confidence expressed by the present nomination.
I hereby proceed to comply with the nomination rules by passing on my nominations . . .
1. Nutfield Genealogy (for a 2nd Gold Star) by Heather Wilkinson Rojo at http://www.nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com
2. Genea-Musings by Randy Seaver at http://www.geneamusings.com
3. Leaves for Trees by Heather Kuhn Roelker at http://leavesfortrees.blogspot.com
4. One Rhode Island Family by Diane MacLean Boumenot at http://onerhodeislandfamily.com
5. GeneaBloggers by Thomas MacEntee at http://geneabloggers.com