Friday, February 22, 2013

Friday Fotos (February 22, 2013) -- Happy Birthday to Whom??

QUESTIONS:  Who are these people?  What do they have in common?






ANSWER (Part I)

1.  George Washington:  1st President of the United States

2.  Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell:  Founder of the Scouting movement

3.  Everett Shearman Carpenter:  my maternal grandfather

4.  Edna St. Vincent Millay:  American poet and winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry

5.  Edward J.  "EJ" Collins:  my sister-in-law's father



ANSWER (Part II)

They all share the same birthday -- today, February 22nd.

1.  George Washington -- born February 22, 1732.  ["Contemporary records, which used the Julian calendar and the Annunciation Style of enumerating years, recorded his birth as February 11, 1731. The provisions of the British Calendar (New Style) Act 1750, implemented in 1752, altered the official British dating method to the Gregorian calendar with the start of the year on January 1 (it had been March 25). These changes resulted in dates being moved forward 11 days, and for those between January 1 and March 25, an advance of one year."]  

2.  Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell -- born February 22, 1857.

3.  Everett Shearman Carpenter -- born February 22, 1891.

4.  Edna St. Vincent Millay -- born February 22, 1892.

5.  Edward J. "EJ" Collins -- born February 22, 1918.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

This work is in the public domain in the U.S., and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.

Photo of Baden-Powell.
This work was published before January 1, 1923 and it is anonymous or pseudonymous due to unknown authorship.  It is in the public domain in the U.S. as well as countries and areas where the copyright terms of anonymous or pseudonymous works are 90 years or less since publication.

Photo of Edna St. Vincent Millay by Carl Van Vechten (14 January 1933).
As the restrictions on the collection that contains this photograph expired in 1986, the Library of Congress believes this image is in the public domain.  However, the Carl Van Vechten (photographer's) estate has asked that use of Van Vechten's photographs "preserve the integrity" of his work, i.e., that photographs not be colorized or cropped, and that proper credit is given to the photographer.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

Copyright 2013, John D. Tew
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

2 comments:

  1. I'm a lifetime member of Girl Scouts, so I always think of Feb. 22nd as "Thinking Day". Did you know that Olave, Baden-Powell's wife, had the same birthday? So in both Boy and Girl Scouting this day is celebrated to think of scouts world wide. I was lucky enough to be in London on Thinking Day one year, and attended a grand ceremony at Westminster Abbey, and a wreath was laid at the memorial stone for the Baden-Powells (near the entrance where Kate and William came and went for their wedding). There are photos on my blog. Lucky you to share this day with two family members and several illustrious characters from history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather:

    I am so embarrassed that I forgot Olave's birthday on Friday. You know I actually met her? I was a Scout at the 1969 National Jamboree in Idaho and served as a "local correspondent" to our newspaper back home -- so I had a "press pass" and got to meet Olave and Jesse Owens. I have his autograph, but she only signed a very few and moved on. She died several years later around mid-70s as I recall. I was in graduate school when she passed away. She was obviously a lot younger than B-P (like 33 years younger or more).

    I am still a registered Scouter and serve as a Genealogy Merit Badge counselor. I was a Scoutmaster for three years and before that an Assistant SM, Cubmaster, Webelos Den Leader etc. Both my sons are Eagle Scouts, though I am not. I only made it to Star -- largely because I went to Philmont in 1967 and after that all I wanted to do was backpack and had no interest in advancement. [I regret it now of course.] I have been to Philmont 4 times and to 5 National Jamborees (including the 2010 100th BSA Anniversary). I won't bore you with the full litany of involvement, but suffice it to say we have yet another interest in common with Scouting. :-)

    Are you or your daughter Gold Award? I always told my sons and the Scouts in our Troop not to get too high and mighty about making Eagle because Gold Award was a whole lot more rare than Eagle! :-)

    ReplyDelete