Saturday, February 2, 2013

Saturday Serendipity -- Ground Hog Day, 2013




This is my version of the popular “Follow Friday” blog prompt where bloggers provide links to posts on other genealogy blogs that they have found interesting, or useful, or both. 

It is not that I am some kind of inveterate contrarian incapable of joining a Follow Friday community, it is just that I have this inconvenient thing called “a job” that prevents me from devoting as much time to genealogy and The Prism as I would like to.

I decided recently to do a series on Fridays that I call Friday Fotos.  I do this series because I am so frequently unsure what my commute home from the office will have in store and consequently how much time I will have to post a blog after decompressing and having a little supper.  Delving into my photo archive and preparing ahead of time a “Foto” with a brief contextual explanation seemed suited to time-challenged Fridays.  By the same logic, Saturdays often allow a more leisurely approach to life and I can post links to some blog posts I have discovered during the week, or even to those discovered during a Saturday morning coffee and extended blog surf.

Here are a few serendipitous blog discoveries from this week that I commend for inclusion on your reading list.

1.            Judy G. Russell at The Legal Genealogist http://www.legalgenealogist.com/blog had a very nice post on February 1st about when a blog crosses the line into commercial territory and thus needs to be very careful about posting borrowed content.

2.            Diane MacLean Boumenot at One Rhode Island Family http://onerhodeislandfamily.com posted an informative piece on her strategy and approach for trying to break through a brick wall.  The post illustrates why persistence is a necessary trait for genealogists.

3.            I have long had an interest in the Great Influenza Pandemic of 1918 and blogged on January 20, 2013 about my grandfather surviving the first wave of the deadly flu.  Heather Wilkinson Rojo at Nutfield Genealogy http://nutfieldgenealogy.blogspot.com did the great service of posting a collection of links to blog posts about the Great Influenza Pandemic of 1918 on her blog yesterday.  The links are on my reading list for today.  Thank you Heather!

4.            In The Weekly Genealogist, Vol 16, No. 4 (January 23, 2013), the NEHGS newsletter published a brief guest piece by Jason Newton about rediscovering the Old Connecticut Path. http://www.americanancestors.org/enews-2013  The OCP was a route followed by pioneers from Massachusetts Bay to Connecticut.  Jason has a wonderful site documenting his rediscovery of the Path that his ancestors walked to get to Connecticut from the Massachusetts Bay.   


_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Copyright 2013, John D. Tew

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _   

No comments:

Post a Comment