Friday, September 20, 2013

Friday Fotos (September 20, 2013) -- Highland Grammar School, Holyoke, Massachusetts

Site of the former Highland Grammar School in Holyoke, Massachusetts (2005)

As I may have mentioned previously here at The Prism, my father's career was with Sears Roebuck and in the early years of that career he was in store management. Being in Sears store management (at least back then) was like being in the military in the sense that you and your family were transferred every few years as you climbed the ladder of management experience and responsibility. By the time I reached high school, my family had lived in seven different locations in four New England states and eventually in the New Jersey suburbs of Philadelphia. Including the high school from which I graduated, I attended six different schools before going to college.  By comparison, during their schooling my two sons attended only three schools before going to college.

The first school I attended was when I went to Kindergarten at age five while living in Holyoke, Massachusetts.  The school was a couple of blocks down the street from where we lived on Taylor Street and I walked to school.  As I recall, the large brick or stone school building was about three stories high and at the time sat in the middle of an asphalt playground area.  I do not recall any grass or trees.  The playground was where most of the boys played marbles or games with baseball cards and I often went to school with a cloth bag of marbles or a stack of baseball cards.  I only attended Highland Grammar School for that one year before we moved to Chicopee on the eastern side of the Connecticut River. My younger sister and I then attended Streiber Memorial School in Chicopee before we moved to Salem Depot, New Hampshire when my father was transferred to the Sears store in Lawrence, Massachusetts.



Highland Grammar School (years unknown)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Photograph of former site of Highland Grammar School by the author (2005).

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Copyright 2013, John D. Tew
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

No comments:

Post a Comment