Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Wordless Wednesday (January 1, 2014) -- One Hundred Thirty-two Years Ago Today: An Excerpt from the Diary of Samuel Eber Carpenter






_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

The 1882 diary of Samuel Eber Carpenter (1853 - 1929) is in the personal collection of the author. Samuel E. Carpenter is my maternal great grandfather. The "friend Sarah" mentioned in the excerpt is Sarah Etta Freeman, my grandfather's future wife and my great grandmother.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

Copyright 2014, John D. Tew
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

TRANSCRIPTION:

January 1st  1882

Went to Church this morning and felt that the service was of great benefit to me. Called on my friend Sarah in the afternoon, had a very pleasant call. On my return home found Everett Matheson there.

While many are turning over new leaves today, some only to smuch [smudge] them in a short time, some to keep them clean for a short time and give it up, and a few to keep them as they should be kept, I have turned mine with a bot upon it that is if it is wrong for me to smoke. I have smoked today. Smoking may not be wrong, but it does not make a man better, neither does it elevate him to do so.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

No comments:

Post a Comment