Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Wallingford, CT World War II Honor Roll -- close-up photos Part 2 (May 30, 2017)



In my blog post of May 29, 2017, I contributed to the 2017 call for additions to the Honor Roll project of Heather Rojo.  My contribution for Memorial Day 2017 continued the process of transcribing the hundreds of men and women from the Wallingford, Connecticut area who served their country during World War II (my father being among them).

As the above photograph of the WWII memorial on the grounds of the Wallingford Town Hall illustrates, there are seven panels each with triple columns of the names of those who served. My 2016 Veterans Day post covered many, but not all, of the names listed on the first panel. The names are in alphabetical order across the entire seven panels and the first panel contains all the surnames beginning with A through B and some of those beginning with C.  

My post of November 10th, 2016 transcribed and listed all the names on the first panel from George C. Abbott, Jr. to Joseph E. Buza -- 244 names all together. My Memorial Day 2017 post listed all the surnames on the Wallingford WWII memorial that begin with C through E -- 298 names in all. In keeping with my intent to also post close-ups of the panels containing names I have transcribed and listed, this is the post of panel close-ups to provide photographs of all the surnames that begin with C through E. This is the process that will be followed for the remaining six panels over time in order to keep the transciption posts to a manageable size.  The transcribed names will be posted first and photographs of the panel close-ups covering the posted names will follow shortly thereafter.

I am very indebted to my cousin, Bruce Marquardt of Wallingford, for so willingly photographing the panels in close-up for me after my efforts to do so failed.  Thank you Bruce!

The following nine close-ups cover the names on the Wallingford WWII memorial from Joaquin Cachucha through Edward W. Eylward. Please note that in order to be sure all names were photographed, the photos overlap and some names are therefore shown twice and can thus be used to orient the precise order of the names from Cachucha to Eylward  The alphabetical order flows down the first column and then up to the top of the second column and finally up to the top of third column on each of the panels. The surnames starting with C start in the third column of the first close-up photo below.  



Photo No. 1 

Photo No. 2 

Photo No. 3 

Photo No. 4

Photo No. 5

Photo No. 6

Photo No. 7

Photo No. 8

Photo No. 9

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

All close-up photographs of the first panel of the WWII memorial are by Bruce Marquardt of Wallingford, Connecticut.

Photo of the entire memorial is by the author.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Copyright 2017, John D. Tew
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _


      

1 comment:

  1. John - I'm writing an article about the honor roll project for publication on the Connecticut State Library Remembering World War I website. Do you live in Connecticut? I'm looking for local residents to interview for the article.
    Jodie Mozdzer Gil

    ReplyDelete