Monday, May 27, 2013

For Heather's Honor Roll Project (Memorial Day 2013)

The Wallingford, Connecticut Town Hall (formerly Lyman Hall High School)

Heather Wilkinson Rojo of Nutfield Genealogy started an Honor Roll Project in 2010.  The goal of the project is to post photos of various war memorials and honor rolls along with the transcriptions of the names on the memorials/honor rolls in order to make the names available for search engines so people can search for family members, ancestors and friends.  This is a VERY worthwhile project and I want to participate in even a small way to support Heather (my blogging mentor and, incidentally, a distant cousin).  Unfortunately, the photo I have to contribute was taken years ago and before the project existed.  As a consequence, while I have a picture of the memorials, I do not have a transcription of all the names appearing on the memorial.  Perhaps I will be able to correct that on a future trip back to New England.

The photograph above is of the Town Hall in Wallingford, Connecticut.  It was formerly the Lyman Hall High School in Wallingford (named for Dr. Lyman Hall a signer of the Declaration of Independence who was born in Wallingford).  My father briefly attended the school when it was still at is original location on South Main Street.  The school was relocated to a new building in 1957 and still operates, but the original building is now the Wallingford Town Hall.   There are at least two honor roll memorials outside the Town Hall building -- one for the Korean War (pictured above) and one for World War II (pictured below).  My father was in the Merchant Marine during WWII and his name is on the WWII Honor Roll in Wallingford.

World War II Honor Roll Memorial in Wallingford, Connecticut



The only close-up of the WWII Honor Roll that I have is a small section in the Ts where my father's name appears.  The photo is shown above with seven names clearly seen.  They are:

                    Alfred J. Tessmer
                    Edward J. Tester
                    William F. Tester
                    Arnold Tew (my father)
                    Kenneth W. Theis
                    Joseph F. Thewlis
                    William Q. Thewlis
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

All photographs by the author.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Copyright 2013, John D. Tew
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

3 comments:

  1. Better late than never! I just added your blog post to the Honor Roll Project post at my website, and also to the permanent page. Thanks so much! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather I live in New Haven, Ct. I will try and get over there and photograph the names and work on this for you.
    Jeanne Bryan Insalaco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabby: Thank you VERY MUCH for your offer. I really appreciate it. My cousin Bruce who lives in Wallingford kindly went down to the town hall last year and photographed all the war memorials for me already. I plan to post for Heather's project this coming Veteran's Day.

      John

      Delete