Tuesday, December 10, 2013

One Hundred Years Ago Today (almost)



I missed it by two days!  

Since the northeast got hit Sunday (December 8, 2013) with the first major snowstorm of this winter season, it would have been perfect if I had paid closer attention to my grandfather's 1913 diary and posted this two days ago -- but I was otherwise occupied and blew it.

All too infrequently during this year I have posted excerpts from the diary kept by my paternal grandfather when he was 16 - 17 years old in 1913 and a student at Phillips Andover in Andover, Massachusetts.  

It turns out that the last entry in my grandfather's diary for 1913 occurred on December 8th.  The 8th of December 1913 was a Monday and Andover was hit with its first snowstorm just as we have had our first on December 8, 2013 -- one hundred years to the day later!

My grandfather's last diary entry for 1913 reads as follows . . . 

          "Today we have our first snow storm which amounts to
      anything. It went down to about 15 today and the wind
      is blowing a gale of about 60 miles an hour.  There is
      about 3 inches of snow." 
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Scan of the December 8th entry in the 1913 "A Line A Day" diary of Arnold G. Tew.  The original diary is in the personal collection of the author.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Copyright 2013, John D. Tew
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

No comments:

Post a Comment