Friday, April 25, 2014

Friday Fotos -- World War II Ration Stamps

To finish this impromptu series on war rationing during World War II, today's Friday Fotos shows four examples of war rationing stamps.  The stamps came with drawings of various objects such as a fighter aircraft, tank, wheat, fruit, etc.  Each individual stamp was also numbered.

Below are examples of stamps with the fighter aircraft, artillery gun, aircraft carrier and tank designs on them. All are from the ration books of my Grand Aunt Edna [Tew] Tarr, which are now in the possession of her grandson, Bruce Marquardt.








_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Scan of original World War II ration stamps courtesy of my cousin, Bruce Marquardt.

For more information and photos of various rationing paraphernalia, see http://www.ameshistory.org/exhibits/events/rationing.htm and the page links at the bottom of the home page.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Copyright 2014, John D. Tew
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _   

1 comment:

  1. Hi John,
    I'm glad you got to take a break, and now you're back. I have two books of ration stamps, both with my name. I've often thought about posting them, so maybe I will. Weather is finally getting spring like, but the next 4-5 days, to be like March. We can't win!

    ReplyDelete