Friday, September 22, 2017

Then and Now: A Mayflower Pilgrimage -- Friday Fotos (September 22, 2017)

L to R: Peter A. Tew, Susan E. Tew, and John D. Tew
at the Pilgrim Memorial bas-relief in Provincetown, Massachusetts (June 1959)

A post today by Heather Rojo of Nutfield Genealogy blog featured a photo essay of her recent visit to Plymouth Plantation. This got me thinking back to a visit Molly and I made to Provincetown, Massachusetts this past March (Molly's first trip to Cape Cod). During the visit we went to the Pilgrim Memorial bas-relief in the park below the Pilgrim Monument & Provincetown Museum (which unfortunately was closed the day we were there). 

The above photo was taken while the family was spending a few weeks on Cape Cod during the summer of 1959 when my father was helping to open the new Hyannis Sears Roebuck store. Either that same summer, or about that time, we also visited Plymouth Rock and Plymouth Plantation. At the time, none of us knew that we children and our mother were actually descendants of Richard Warren, a Mayflower passenger and signer of the Compact. My mother's mother said we were related to the Warrens of Plymouth, but it was not until almost 50 years later that I was able to prove our  descent from Richard Warren through two of his five daughters (and obtain  membership in the General Society of Mayflower Descendants [GSMD] for my mother, my sons and myself).

Fast forward to this past March and Molly kindly took the "Now" photo shown below to bookend the "Then" photo of me and my siblings from 1959. 

 John D. Tew at the Pilgrim Memorial bas-relief in Provincetown, Massachusetts (March 2017)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  

Photos from the personal collection of the author.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Copyright 2017, John D. Tew
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

No comments:

Post a Comment